Nameservers match domain names to IP addresses. When a visitor tries to access a website that is hosted in your server, their device and the router queries a nameserver for the IP address of the domain that they wish to view. The nameserver returns the IP address for your web server and directs the visitor to the correct page. You must publish records for your domain names to nameservers so that visitors can reach those sites. These nameservers communicate with other nameservers to distribute the records of sites that your server hosts.
Configure your default nameservers
Navigate to WHM’s Basic WebHost Manager Setup interface (WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Basic WebHost Manager Setup). At the bottom of the interface, enter the desired nameserver names in the text boxes and click Save Changes.
We would like to mention some of the guidelines when you name nameservers:
- The name must consist of a prefix, a dot (.), and your domain. The common convention for nameservers is to prefix your domain name with ns1 (for example, ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com).
- Your nameservers cannot share a name.
- We strongly recommend that you use a domain that reflects your company’s main homepage URL.
Add IP addresses
To add IP addresses to your server, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to WHM’s Add a New IP Address interface (WHM >> Home >> IP Functions >> Add a New IP Address).
- Enter the IP address or IP address range in the New IP or IP range to add text box.
- Enter the subnet mask in the Select a subnet mask for the IP or IPs above to use text box.
- Enter any IP addresses that you wish to exclude in the IPs and IP ranges to exclude from the range of new IPs.
- Click Submit.
Create A or AAAA entries for your nameservers
In WHM’s Basic WebHost Manager Setup interface (WHM >> Home >> Server Configuration >> Basic WebHost Manager Setup), check out the following steps:
- Next to the appropriate Nameservers text box, click Configure Address Records. A new window will appear.
- The system will run a DNS lookup on the nameserver that you entered.
- To enter a different IPv4 address, enter a new value in the Enter an IPv4 address to create an A record text box or Confirm the IPv4 address to create an A record text box.
- To enter a different IPv6 address, enter a new value in the Enter an IPv6 address to create an AAAA record (optional) text box.
- Click Configure Address Records
- The system will display the results of your changes. Click Close.
- Repeat these steps for each nameserver that you entered.
Manage reseller nameservers
After you configure your nameservers, you may wish to configure special nameservers for your server’s resellers. We design cPanel & WHM to accommodate a white-label reseller experience, which allows customizable branding. You can configure hosting resellers to each use their own nameservers.
To edit nameserver names and assign nameserver IP addresses for individual reseller nameservers, use WHM’s Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges interface (WHM >> Home >> Resellers >> Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges).